The purpose of the new NDIS quality and safeguard framework is to improve the safety and quality of services delivered by NDIS providers across Australia. The current transition time frames for each of the state and territory are outlined below:
- NSW and SA from 1st July 2018
- QLD, VIC, TAS, ACT and NT from 1st July 2019
- WA from 1st July 2020
The new requirements for providers under the new framework are as follows:
- A national provider registration system
- NDIS Practice Standards
- An NDIS Code of Conduct
- A national worker screening system
- A new complaints management and resolution system
- New incident management requirements, including reportable incidents
- Additional safeguards for behaviour support and restrictive practices.
The Commission will help people with disability resolve complaints about NDIS providers, and will strengthen the skills and knowledge of providers and participants across Australia.
By becoming a Registered Provider, the provider agrees to uphold the objectives of the NDIS Act and work with participants to achieve individual outcomes. When delivering supports or conducting a business in relation to the delivery of supports, Registered Providers must comply with each of the following:
- NDIS Act, the Rules, all relevant NDIS guidelines, and all policies issued by the NDIA
- Registered Provider’s own Code of Conduct, Code of Ethics or Service Charter
- Any Commonwealth, State or Territory laws, and any other requirements, that are applicable to the Registered Provider, including, but not limited to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), Australian Consumer Law, and any relevant quality and safeguard laws, including Quality Assurance and Safeguards Working Arrangements and the Guide to Suitability.
Further information on quality and safeguarding arrangements are available on the NDIS commissions website https://www.ndiscommission.gov.au/
For NDIS registration terms, please click on your state(s)/territory(ies) below to see what arrangements and requirements apply in your jurisdiction(s):
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Western Australia
- Northern Territory